Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.


A book I want is checked out. How can I be notified when it is returned?

You may request a reserve card at the Adult or Children's/Youth Services desk or the Information Desk at the Main Library, or at the circulation desk at either branch. Fill out the call number, author, and title of the book, your library card number and phone number, and any deadline date you may have (for example, if a report is due). Address the card to yourself. We will notify you when the item is available; a 50-cent fee is charged when you pick up the item. Videos and sound recordings cannot be reserved.

Are reverse directories available at the library? Can I ask the library to search for an address over the phone?

The library subscribes to three Haines directories, covering areas around Inglewood. We don't have directories for the west side of Los Angeles or the San Fernando Valley. Those wishing to use the directories must come to the library; we do not answer reverse directories on the phone.

Besides borrowing books, what else can I use my library card for?

  1. As a photocopy or computer print card. New cards have a magnetic strip on the back, and by following instructions on the Vendacoder machine on the second floor or other photocopy machines, library users can purchase printouts or photocopies.
  2. As an identification card for use of certain materials, gaining access to our computer workstations, or using a study room.

Can I find out from home if a certain item is on the shelf?

Yes. Call the appropriate reference desk (Adult or Children's/Youth Services at the Main Library; reference desk at branches). If you have found that the library owns the item by searching our online catalog, give as much information as you can about it, e.g., author and title, and call number if the book is subject (nonfiction). Staff will locate the item and have it held for you at the circulation desk. We suggest you call the appropriate agency to insure that the book has been located.

Do you carry videos? How about music, spoken word, or recorded literature?

We have extensive collections of video and sound recordings available to check out. Subject videos may be borrowed for seven days, and features or other fiction videos for three days. We carry both videocassettes and DVDs.

Sound recordings, on audiocassette and compact disc, are available. We offer music, spoken word (primarily audio documentaries), and full-length and abridged books, which may be borrowed for three weeks.

We are part of a group of libraries which purchases and routes unabridged recorded literature on both cassette and compact disc. This service allows us to augment our collections every four months.

Do you have books in Spanish? Other languages?

The library has an extensive collection of Spanish language materials. These are shelved on the first floor of the Main Library - by author's last name for fiction and Library of Congress call number for subject.

We have small collections of resources in Vietnamese, French, German, and Italian. Ask about them at the reference or information desk.

Does the library have meeting rooms available for the public?

Study/conference rooms accommodating one to six people are available on the second and third floor of the library. Rooms may be booked for a maximum of four hours. For access to the study rooms on the second floor, go to the Serials Division; for the room on the third floor, go to the Library Administrative Office Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., or the Audio-Visual Division evenings or weekends.

The library makes the Gladys Waddingham Lecture Hall available for groups up to 299 persons.

Does the library have out-of-town telephone books?

The library has telephone books from all states, and from major cities in each state. They are in the adult reference section; phone books from other California cities are shelved at the beginning of the section; the other states follow in alphabetical order by state and alphabetically by city within each state.

Does the library offer computer classes? Are there any classes directed at seniors?

The library offers free computer classes in English and Spanish in the Gates Computer Center. Classes include introductions to computers and the Internet, using email, and word processing. Although there are not classes designed specifically for seniors, all library users with a valid library card may register for classes at the Information Desk, Main Library.

Does the library offer storytimes for children?

Yes, we do. Please see our monthly calendar for information.

How can I get an Inglewood library card?

Come to any Inglewood Public Library (Main Library or branches), fill out a short application, and present identification showing your current California address. If you don't have a driver's license or California identification card, bring a piece of mail (such as a telephone or electricity bill) or a rent receipt showing your address. We issue a free library card to any California resident. For more information on applying for a card, call (310) 412-5620.

How can I volunteer my time at the library?

The library supervisor in the Circulation Division takes care of volunteer opportunities. To learn about the Friends of the Inglewood Public Library, call or visit the Library Administrative Office.

How do I interpret the online catalog records?

Location - The library agency (Main Library or branches) that owns the item.

Collection - Materials in the Inglewood Public Library are divided into two levels (adult and juvenile) and two types (fiction and subject [what other libraries call nonfiction]). This designation tells a borrower where to look for materials.

Call Number - The item's address in the library. Inglewood Public Library uses the Library of Congress classification system for subject materials. Fiction is arranged by author's last name. Books designated as mysteries, westerns, science fiction, romance, or short stories are on the shelves labeled for those fiction genres, alphabetically by authors' last names.

Checked Out - Another person has borrowed the book


Missing - The item has been reported lost


Unavailable - The item was checked out and never returned.

How long may I keep materials?

Print media (books, magazines, pamphlets) and sound recordings check out for three weeks. Feature videocassettes and DVDs are loaned for three days. Subject (nonfiction) videocassettes may be borrowed for seven days.

How many items may I check out?

Borrowers may check out up to 25 items, with limits of four books on a subject, two videocassettes or DVDs, ten each music or spoken word (instructional, drama) cassettes or CDs, four each books on cassette or CD, and one exam book.

I need a book or magazine article that the Inglewood Public Library doesn't own. How can I get a copy?

If the book is available in a local public library, we ask you to go to that library. Through cooperative library systems any Inglewood resident may obtain a library card from the Los Angeles Public Library, for example, and check out materials from that library.

If the item you want is not available in a local public library we can try to get it for you from another library through a process called interlibrary loan. Forms for this service are available at the Adult Reference Desk. We ask that you pay a $1 fee at the time you make the request.

I'm a teacher, and I'd like to bring my class to the library. How can I arrange this?

To arrange a class visit at the Main Library, call the Children's/Youth Services Division at 310/412-5645. For visits to the Crenshaw-Imperial Library, call 310/412-5403; for Morningside Park, call 310/412-5400.

May I renew library materials?

Print library materials (except exam books) and sound recordings may be renewed once if they have not been reserved. There is no renewal by telephone. Videos may not be renewed.

The book I found in the catalog has a call number c1998. Where are those books?

Many people mistake the publication date for a call number. The number given as an example here means the book was copyrighted in 1998, and the item wanted is fiction. Fiction books are shelved by author's last name.

The catalog said that the book is available, but when I went to the shelf, it wasn't there.

Several events can affect whether a book is really available for checkout.

  • The book could have been misshelved. We ask our users to leave books on the tables or designated library carts, but sometimes people try to be helpful and put materials in the wrong place. The library's shelvers may also make errors.
  • The book may have just returned from being checked out, and is still in our Circulation Division, waiting to be returned to the shelves. Ask at the return desk on the first floor
  • It may be on the sorting shelves. Ask a staff member to help you locate them. (Note: Fiction sorting shelves are in the Circulation work area.)
  • It may be in use in the library.
  • It may have been stolen. Even though we have a system which detects library materials that have not been checked out, people may still walk out with materials.

The catalog says the item I want is in the Depository. What does this mean? Will I be able to check out the book?

The Depository is a section of closed stacks where materials that are old, back issues of certain magazines, and materials we are required to retain as a government documents depository library are kept. During business hours, we can send a message to have the item brought to the circulation desk (where it is held under the requester's name). At night and on weekends, we have regular pickups of depository requests, usually every two hours. Unless the item is designated as reference, it may be checked out.

What fees might the library collect?

What fees might the library collect?

  • Replacing lost library card: $1
  • Issuing temporary card: 25 cents
  • Reserve notification: 50 cents
  • Lost items processing fee: $5
  • Fees for damaged materials:
    If the item can be repaired, $9 bindery charge. If damaged beyond repair, replacement cost plus $5
  • Interlibrary loan fees (for materials borrowed from another library): $1 per item plus any costs imposed by the lending institution

What happens if I don't bring my materials back on time?

Fines are charged on items kept beyond their due date. Due dates are printed on the receipt given to each borrower at the time materials are checked out. Fines are based on the level of the material (Children's or adult) NOT on the age of the borrower.

If a borrower owes more than $3 in fines and fees, his/her card is invalid. The borrower may not check out materials or use the Internet or study/conference rooms until his/her account is cleared.

  • Adult books and sound recordings: 20 cents a day
  • Children's books: 10 cents a day
  • Video recordings: $2 a day

The library employs a collection agency for severely delinquent accounts.

Call Registration at 310/412-5620. They can assist you.

What is a valid library card?

A library card is considered valid if it:

  • is current - that is, expires on a future date
  • has no fines attached more than $3
  • has no overdue materials charged out.

Where are Inglewood Public Libraries? What are their hours?

Main Library
101 West Manchester Boulevard
Phone: 310/412-5380
Monday-Thursday - 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday -- 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday - 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday - 1 p.m.-5 p.m.

w-Imperial Library
11141 Crenshaw Boulevard
Phone: 310/412-5403
Monday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Tuesday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Wednesday 2 p.m.-8 p.m.
Thursday - CLOSED
Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.

Morningside Park Library
3202 West 85th Street
Phone: 310/412-5400
Monday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday - 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Thursday - 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Friday - CLOSED
Saturday - 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Where are your biographies?

Biographies and autobiographies are not all in one place (although many juvenile biographies are classed as CV and shelved in the Children's/Youth Services area at the end of the C classification by the subject's last name). Use the computer catalog and search under the person's name (last name first) under Subject. Most biographies are shelved under the person's profession. Thus, books about Malcolm X are in the section for Islam, U.S. presidents in the E classification, Michael Jackson under music, etc.