Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.


Can your office help me find locations suitable for my business?

To a limited degree.  We maintain an inventory of vacant commercial properties in downtown and know most of the property owners.  If you are interested in a vacant store, we will be happy to refer you to the property owner.  For other commercial or industrial properties, we suggest that you contact a local real estate broker.  We have a list of brokers who work in the Inglewood area and are happy to proide you with several referrals.

Can your office help me with processing of a building?

Not Directly.  We would refer you to the Planning Division of the Building & Safety Division, but we can accompany you to visit the inspectors and assist in other ways.

Do you offer grants for businesses?

No.  We can however provide referral information about organization that offers grants.

How do I obtain a copy of the City’s budget?

The printed annual budget document is available for review or purchase ($10) at City Hall about 90 days after the City Council adopts the budget.

Is there any work that is exempt from building permits?

A building permit is not required for the following:

  • One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
  • Fences not over 6 feet high.
  • Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.
  • Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
  • Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement of story below.
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of private residences or private garages when projecting not more than 54 inches.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a private residence in which the pool walls are entirely above grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons. Unless other wise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.

What are the Permit types issued by the Building Division?

The following are the permits that the Building Division issues:

  • Combination Building Permits
  • Building Permits
  • Electrical Permits
  • Plumbing Permits
  • Mechanical Permits
  • Miscellaneous Permits

What is a Building Inspection?

A building inspection is the process where a Building Inspector inspects structures during construction for compliance with state and local Building Codes.

What is a Plan Review?

A plan review is a detailed review of construction drawings submitted by an applicant for compliance with state and local Building Codes prior to the issuance of a building permit. A plan submittal and review is required in most cases. Contact the Building Division to see if your construction project will need plan review.

  • What you need to know about Plan Checking
  • Commercial plan check submittal requirements
  • What you need to know about Tenant Improvements
  • Tenant improvement plan check submittal requirements
  • Residential plan check submittal requirements
  • What you need to know about doing room additions
  • Room addition plan check submittal requirements

What is the Building Permit Application Procedure?

The first step, before doing anything else, is to check with the Planning Division to determine if a Precise Plan of Design approval is required for your construction project. If the Precise Plan of Design is required, you will need to complete this process before submitting a Building Permit application. If a Precise Plan of Design is not required you may submit your application to the Building Division.

What is the cost of a building permit?

Building permits fee’s vary depending on the type and complexity of the project. If you would like to find out what the Building permit cost will be for your construction project call us or e-mail us and will be glad to give you a cost estimate.

What kind of information can you provide me about Inglewood?  I am considering bringing my business to the city.

The O-E-B-D office maintains updated demographic data on the city, overall and can pull up demographic data on specific sites, as well.  We also maintain information on business sales, the costs of doing business in the city and the number and types of business operating in the city.

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required whenever a structure or building is erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, converted or demolished.

When is a Building Permit Issued?

When it is determined that the proposed work or construction is in conformance with all state and local Building Codes a Building, Plumbing, Electrical or Mechanical permit will be issued.

Who are the players in the budget development?

Every employee plays a role in budgeting--whether in its formulation, preparation, implementation, administration, or evaluation.  Ultimately, of course, the department (agency) head, through the City Administrator, is accountable to the City Council for execution of his/her budget--that is, the performance of departmental personnel in meeting specific objectives within allocated resource limits.

Actual budget preparation responsibility can be identified more specifically:

1. The Department (Agency) Head and the Division (Organization) Manager are responsible for reviewing modifying and assembling their cost center (organization) data into an agency request package.  Agency heads should critically evaluate all requests, prioritize, and submit only those request which clearly identify Council policies, administrative direction and agency objectives.

2. The Sr. Accountant & Administrative Assistant within the Administration Department are responsible for (a) assisting operating agencies; (b) reviewing agency budgets with individuals agency heads or staff if necessary; (c) analyzing, summarizing, and verifying all budget request packages; and (d) coordinating revenue forecasts for presentation to the Assistant City Administrator.

3. The Budget Officer has oversight responsibility for the entire budget process. Reviews all analytical data, fund balances, and revenue forecasts and presents the City's fiscal outlook to the Assistant City Administrator.

4. The Assistant City Administrator is responsible for reviewing agency requests and making recommendations for changes in program/service levels to the City Administrator.

5. The City Administrator is responsible for reviewing agency requests and evaluating recommendations made by the Assistant City Administrator to formulate a Citywide tentative budget for submission to the Mayor & City Council.

6. The Mayor & City Council is responsible for the review of the City Administrator’s tentative budget and approval of a final budget.