Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Social Issues

Can I buy a HUD Home for a dollar?

No. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sells homes at market value - that means that the price is set based on the price of similar homes sold in the area.  Please see the following website for further information:

Can I get money to repair or paint my own home?

Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides limited home rehabilitation assistance to qualified homeowners.  Please contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 and ask for information on their home rehabilitation program.

Can the city help me pay my rent?

No, but the City of Inglewood works with an organization called Saint Margaret’s Center, that helps people who have fallen behind in rent or need emergency money for a first and last month's deposit.  For further information, call 310-672-2208 to see if you qualify for emergency services.   

Do you have a housing repair program for senior citizens?

The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a senior citizen housing repair program.  However, Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services provides home rehabilitation grants for senior citizens.  For more information, please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756.

Do you have first time homebuyer programs or grants for Inglewood residents?

The City of Inglewood does not directly administer a first time homebuyer program.  Please call Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756 for further information on first time homebuyer programs.

How can I get a city loan for a house?

The City of Inglewood works with an agency called, Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services who provide homeownership classes and some financial assistance for qualifying individuals.  Low to moderate-income individuals may qualify for certain programs.  For more information contact Inglewood Neighborhood Housing Services at 310-674-3756.

How can I get involved in the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program?

The City of Inglewood believes that citizens can significantly contribute toward the operation of a successful program by participating in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of community development activities. As community representatives, citizens bring knowledge of the problems and needs of individuals, groups and neighborhoods. Citizens’ participation help the City Council make more informed decisions regarding community development activities in Inglewood. The City submits your suggestions and comments in the annual report to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  To get involved, you can:

  • Attend community meetings, public hearings and City Council meetings to voice your opinion of how CDBG funding should be spent.
  • Let your with your City Council member know your opinion; send them a letter, schedule a visit or call them.
  • Organize your block, or apartment building. Meet with your local block club group and start to strategize!
  • Educate your neighbors or people in your family about CDBG funding and how they can become involved. 

CDBG has several public hearings throughout the year.  For more information on CDBG public hearings, please call 310-412-8800.

What are Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Eligible Activities?

  • Housing (Rehabilitation and Home Purchase Assistance)
  • Housing Rehabilitation and preservation
  • Lead-based paint testing and abatement
  • Relocation assistance
  • Acquisition and disposition
  • Clearance and Demolition
  • Public Facilities Improvements
  • Acquisition, installation, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure
  • Acquisition, construction or rehabilitation of neighborhood facilities and facilities for persons with special needs (e.g., cultural centers, homeless shelters, etc.)
  • Economic Development
  • Assistance to micro-enterprises and other businesses
  • Technical assistance and supportive services
  • Outreach, marketing and other services to assisted businesses
  • Relocation assistance for businesses temporarily or permanently relocated
  • Public information

Public/Social Services

  • Job training and employment services
  • Health care and substance abuse services
  • Childcare
  • Crime prevention
  • Fair housing counseling
  • Cultural programs

Other Eligible Activities

  • Code enforcement
  • Historic preservation
  • Facade improvement

Ineligible Activities

  • Building(s) for the general conduct of government (city hall)
  • Political activities
  • General government expenses
  • Income payment
  • Religious activities


What can I do if I or someone I know are being discriminated against in a housing or apartment rental situation?

The City provides funding to the Southern California Housing Rights Center to offer fair housing services to landlords, tenants, and families with children. 

  • Have you received an eviction notice?
  • Have you had trouble getting repairs completed? 
  •  Have you experienced discrimination in housing because of your race, ethnic origin, marital status, sex, religion, arbitrary reason (i.e. sexual orientation, source of income)? ...
  • Have disputes between tenants and landlords escalated to the point where mediation is needed?
  • Have you moved recently but haven't received your security deposit?
  • Do you need information about your rights and responsibilities?

Southern California Housing Rights Center investigates cases of alleged housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, familial status, age, and sexual preference. For questions or other assistance please contact the Southern California Housing Rights Center hotline at 310-474-1667.  Assistance is available in Spanish, Mandarin, English, Armenian, Portuguese and Russian.

What is a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)?

The Community Development Block Grant is a federally funded grant program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), aimed to assist low to moderate-income communities in community development projects.  Every year, each city with more than 50,000 people and each county with a population with more than 200,000 automatically receive this funding from the federal government. CDBG dollars can be used to fund community development projects such as:

  • Public Facilities: day care centers, recreational facilities, parks/playgrounds or health centers.
  • Public Improvements: street and sidewalk repairs/improvements, graffiti removal.
  • Public Services: employment services, crime prevention, childcare, health services, fair housing counseling or recreational services.
  • Housing Activities: housing rehabilitation, lead abatement, housing discrimination services, and emergency shelter services.
  • Economic Development: small business loans/grants, job training, construction and rehabilitation of commercial buildings.

What is the Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) Program?

Emergency Shelter Grant program funds are used to help improve the quality of existing emergency shelters for the homeless, to help make available additional emergency shelters, and to meet the costs of operating shelter and providing essential services to the homeless. The City of Inglewood contracts with two agencies that provide a provision of homeless services.  These agencies are St. Margaret's Center and People Assisting the Homeless (P.A.T.H).

What is the HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME)?

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allocates HOME Investment Partnership Act funds by formula to eligible state and local governments, including the City of Inglewood to strengthen public-private partnerships to provide more affordable housing. 

Fifteen percent (15%) of HOME funds must be allocated to a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO).  The City utilizes the remaining eighty-five percent (85%) of HOME funds to expand the supply of decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing to very low to moderate-income persons. This is accomplished through implementation of housing programs and projects that provide assistance in the form of grants and deferred loans. HOME Program eligible costs and activities are, program administration, new housing construction, housing rehabilitation, home mortgage/purchase assistance, short term rental assistance.

What type of assistance does the O-E-B-D offer?

We offer a wide range of services and assistance for business in the city of Inglewood.

IDC MICRO LOAN – The City established a micro-loan program for business located in the In-Town Redevelopment Area on Florence to Hillcrest on the North and South and La Brea to Locust on the East and West.  Inglewood administers the program offering loans from $1,000 to $25,000 to eligible businesses.  Loans maybe termed for three to five years and priced below the Prime Rate, for borrowers with excellent credit, to points over the prime rate, for borrowers with less than stellar credit. 

PCR MICRO LOAN – Since the IDC’s micro loan is limited downtown businesses, OEBD developed a lending relationship with Pacific Coast Regional, Inc. to offer loans from $5,000 to $35,000 to Inglewood businesses, citywide.  These loans are sponsored by the SBA and therefore, have stricter credit requirements.  Loans are termed for three to five years and priced from 1 to 3 points over the Wall Street PRIME RATE.  NOTE:  Both Micro Loan programs provide funds to purchase inventory and equipment for advertising expenses or day-to-day operations.  Façade or store front improvements are also eligible uses of these.

Grow Inglewood Fund (GIF) – This is and SBA loan that can be used to purchase equipment and inventory or for working capital needs to support a business expansion.  GIF loans may also be used to purchase and renovate commercial real estate, as long as the borrower occupies at least 51% of the property for ongoing business operations.  GIF loans rely on sound credit, require some form of collateral and require the borrower to guarantee repayment.

Other Loan Funds  - OEBD has relationships with banks and other commercial lenders to offer city businesses a wide variety of business loans and assistance for Inglewood businesses.  OEBD staff will help the borrower to assemble needed loan documentation and prescreen the borrower’s application to determine which loan source may be most beneficial for the borrower.  While borrowing directly from a bank is the preferred method for business lending, businesses that may not meet the bank’s strict criteria are often referred to “community lending institutions” for assistance with loans that require more creative financing strategies.  OEBD relies on its relationships with organizations like Pacific Coast Regional and the Long Beach Area Certified Development Corporation, FAME Renaissance and SBDC for these financings.

Technical Assistance for Businesses  - OEBD staffing provides counseling and advises Inglewood business on a wide range of topics and concerns.  OEBD also relies on established relationships with such organizations as the Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) for referrals of business owners with specific issues requiring technically skilled advisors and the entrepreneurs wanting to start a new business needing preparation of business plans and other essential business planning guidance.

What type of programs and projects are eligible for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?

CDBG funds can be used for a wide range of activities such as housing rehabilitation, code enforcement, acquisition of real property, demolition, infrastructure and public facility improvements, economic development, and social services. The primary eligibility requirement for any such activity to be funded is that the project or program principally benefits low and moderate-income persons in designated census tracts.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) defines low and moderate income as a household that is at or below 80% of the median income for the area. These income guidelines are adjusted annually.

What types of housing programs are available to non-profit community based programs?

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers community-based nonprofit organizations the opportunity to purchase HUD homes at discounts of up to 30 percent off the appraised value. For more information, please visit HUD’s website at:

What types of programs are funded by Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)?

Funded programs are those that serve 51 percent low- and moderate-income neighborhoods and residents within the City of Inglewood. The majority of CDBG funds are used in acquisition, construction, engineering, planning, and economic development projects. However, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allows 15 percent of the City's entitlement to go toward funding "public service" (social services) programs. Such "public service" funded programs include: juvenile diversion/youth services, senior citizen services, persons with HIV/AIDS services, job training, homeless services, family violence/crime intervention and prevention services, and transitional living services. (NOTE: This list is not inclusive of all types of services that may be eligible under the CDBG Program.)

Who can apply for Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)?

CDBG funds are available for community development projects in specific, federally mandated CDBG areas within the City of Inglewood.   CDBG grants are awarded on a competitive basis to certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.  Request for Proposals (RFP) are made available once per year, usually during the month of May.  To have your agency added to the City’s CDBG mailing list, please submit your agency’s address and contact name to: CDBG Division, One Manchester Boulevard, Suite 550, Inglewood, California, 90301 or fax requests to 310-330-5780.

Who is eligible for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds?

Individual citizens or families are not eligible for direct CDBG funds.  Only certified, non-profit 501(c) (3) organizations can apply for funding.   Projects and programs must benefit low- and moderate-income individuals in CDBG eligible areas.  City departments can also apply to provide for improvements to public property such as streets, sidewalks and parks.  For more information, please call the CDBG Division at 310-412-8800.